27 Apr Easy Ways to Update Your Home Before Selling
There are certain quirks you’ve come to love about your house. The rusting cabinet pulls in the kitchen. The way the bathroom door squeaks when you open it too far. Even the 1980s (not in a good way) light fixture above your dining room table has won you over. While you may find these design elements charming, potential buyers won’t see anything but an outdated home and a ton of projects. Luckily, there are some low budget, high impact ways you can update your home before selling that will make buyers swoon.
5 Ways to Update Your Home Before Selling
- Give your walls a fresh coat of paint. We know, we know. Painting is the worst. But it’s also a cost effective way to make your house look clean and bright. Paint the trim a contrasting color for a modern, updated look. For example, go with a cool grey on the walls and antique white for the trim. Don’t forget the ceilings!
- Step up your storage game. You might be fine with tossing your snow gear in a closet and closing the door until November. But buyers want to see tidy, organized storage space. Consider adding a DIY wire and laminate system to your entry closet and pantry to maximize storage.
- Update your light fixtures. You know which ones we’re talking about, because you didn’t like them at first either! Home stores have a variety of affordable options for updating your bathroom, dining, and kitchen light fixtures. You don’t have to buy anything flashy or expensive – a subtle upgrade will make a big difference.
- Refresh your kitchen. There’s no doubt about it – homebuyers want updated kitchens with all the bells and whistles. You don’t need to do a complete renovation, but rather smaller projects that add up. Replace the faucet set, toss those rusty cabinet pulls, and give the cabinets themselves a facelift. You can take off the doors and refinish them or have someone do it for you.
- Install ceiling fans if you don’t already have them. According to the National Association of Home Builders’ (NAHB) list of buyers’ most-wanted home features, 89% of homebuyers want ceiling fans. If you already have ceiling fans, you can buy replacement blades to update the fixture’s look.
Are you planning to sell your home this spring?
As we transition into late spring, the real estate market really starts heating up in Summit County. In March, new listings were up 18.5% since November and homes are selling a lot faster than last year. While Summit County is definitely a seller’s market, there are still a fair number of houses for sale and buyers have options. If you want to win over this discerning group of home shoppers, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and complete those little projects that will make a big impact.
If you’re thinking about listing your home, we highly recommend downloading our free Seller Resource Guide. It’s loaded with local insight and chock full of tips for getting your home ready to sell! Then, call the real estate experts at Dwell Summit.
We’ll be happy to catch up over coffee and discuss your goals for a swift and successful home sale. One of our real estate agents can even swing by your property to take a look at what you’re working with. With buyers on the prowl for their dream homes this spring, there’s never been a better time to update your home and get it on the market.
Contact us when the time is right. We’re excited to hear from you!